Tuesday 27 February 2024

 

PHRASAL VERBS

 

back down (no object): not follow a threat.

"Tom was going to call the police when I told him I'd wrecked his car, but he backed down when I said I'd pay for the damages.

back off (no object): not follow a threat.

"Tom was ready to call the police when I told him I'd wrecked his car, but he backed off when I said I'd pay for the damages."

back up (1. no object): move backward; move in reverse.

"You missed the lines in the parking space. You'll have to back up and try again."

"The people waiting in line are too close to the door. We won't be able to open it unless they back up.

back up (2. separable): drive a vehicle backwards (in reverse).

"You're too close! Back your car up so I can open the garage door."

back up (3. separable): confirm a story, facts, or information.

"If you don't believe me, talk to Dave. He'll back me up."

back up (4. separable): make a "protection" copy to use if there are problems with the original.

"When my computer crashed, I lost many of my files. It's a good thing I backed them up."

beg off (no object): decline an invitation; ask to be excused from doing something.

"At first Lily said she would be at the party. Later she begged off

blow up (1. separable): inflate.

"We needs lots of balloons for the party. Will you blow them up

blow up (2. separable): explode; destroy by exploding.

A: "That old building really came down quickly!"
B: "That's because the construction company used dynamite to blow it up

blow up (3. no object): suddenly become very angry.

"When I told Jerry that I'd had an accident with his car, he blew up."

bone up on (inseparable): review / study thoroughly for a short time.

"If you're going to travel to Peru, you'd better bone up on your Spanish

break down (1. separable): separate something into component parts.

"We spent a lot of money at the supermarket. When we broke the total cost down, we spent more on cleaning supplies than food."

break down (2. no object): stop working / functioning.

"Sharon will be late for work today. Her car broke down on the freeway

break in (1. often no object; with an object, break into--inseparable): enter by using force (and breaking a lock, window, etc.)

"Jane's apartment was burglarized last night. Someone

broke in while Jane was at the movies." / "Somebody broke into Jane's apartment while she was at the movies.

break in (2. separable): wear something new until it's / they're comfortable.

"These are nice shoes, but they're too stiff. I hope it doesn't take too long to break them in

break in (3. separable): train; get someone / something accustomed to a new routine.

"I hope I can learn my new job quickly. The manager hasn't scheduled much time for breakingmein

break up (1. no object): disperse; scatter.

"What time did the party break up last night?"

break up (2. usually no object; with an object, break upwith [inseparable)]): end a personal relationship.

"Tim and Julie aren't going steady any more. They got really angry with each other and broke up."

"Have you heard the news? Julie broke up with Tim!"

"I'm sorry to hear that their marriage broke up. I'm sure the divorce will be difficult for the children

bring / take back (separable): return something.

"Yes, you can borrow my pen, don't forget to bring it back to me when you're finished."

"This book is due tomorrow. I guess I should take it back to the library."

bring off (separable): accomplish something difficult; accomplish something people had considered impossible or unlikely.

"No one thought Chuck could get an A in that course, but he brought it off.

bring up (1. separable): mention (as a topic of discussion).

"We planned to discuss overtime pay in the meeting. Why didn't someone bring that topic up

bring up (2. separable): raise; rear.

"Lucy's parents died when she was a baby. Her grandparents brought her up."

brush up on (inseparable): review / study thoroughly for a short time.

"If you're going to travel to Peru, you'd better brush up on your Spanish

burn down (no object): become destroyed / consumed by fire.

Note: For upright things--trees, buildings, etc.--only.

"Lightning struck Mr. Kennedy's barn last night. It burned down before the fire fighters arrived

burn up (1. no object): become destroyed / consumed by fire.

Note: For people and non-upright things only.

"All of Mr. Kennedy's hay burned up when his barn burned down

burn up (2. separable): cause someone to become very angry.

"Did you hear how rudely Fred talked to me? That really burned me up

butt in (no object): impolitely interrupt (a conversation, an action).

"Hey, you! Don't butt in! Wait for your turn!"

butter up (separable): praise someone excessively with the hope of getting some benefit.

"I guess Marty reall wants to be promoted. He's been buttering his boss up all week."

call off (separable): cancel something that has been scheduled.

"We don't have school today. The mayor called classes off because of the snow

call on (inseparable): ask someone for an answer in class.

"I don't know why the teacher never calls on you. You always know the answer

calm down (with or without an object; with an object, separable): become calm / less agitated or upset; help someone become calm / less agitated or upset.

"Why are you so upset? Suzie didn't intend to spill orange juice on you. Calm down!"

"I know Ralph is upset, but can you calm him down? He's making so much noise that he's irritating everyone in the office."

(not) care for (1. inseparable): like; want.

Note: This phrasal verb is usually negative, though it may be used affirmatively in questions.

A: "Would you care for something to drink? We have coffee, tea, or orange juice."

B: "Could I have water, please? I don't care for coffee, tea, or juice

care for (2. inseparable): take care of; supply care to; attend / watch..

"Amy's father got out of the hospital last week. The family is caring for him at home

catch on (no object): develop understanding or knowledge of something.

"Bill had never used a computer until he took this class, but he caught on very quickly and is now one of the best students

catch up (with) (often without an object; with an object, inseparable): stop being behind.

"Terry stopped to rest for a few minutes. He'll catch up / catch up with us later

check in(to) (inseparable): register for / at a hotel, conference, etc.; let someone know officially that you have arrived.

"My plane will arrive around 5:00 PM. I should be able to check into the hotel by 6:00 or 6:30."

"When you arrive at the convention, be sure to check in at the registration desk

check off (separable): make a mark to indicate that something on a list has been completed.

"Here are the things you need to do. Please check each one off when you've finished it

check out (of) (1. inseparable): follow procedures for leaving (a hotel, etc.)

"Don't forget to take your room key to the front desk when you check out (when you check out of the hotel

check out (2. separable): follow procedures for borrowing something (usually for a limited period of time).

"I'm sorry, but you can't take that encyclopedia home. The library won't allow you to check reference books out

cheer up (separable): help someone feel less worried / depressed / sad.

"Suzie's brother was depressed about not getting a promotion, so she sent him a funny card to cheer him up

chew out (separable): scold someone severely; berate.

"Tom's father was really angry when Tom didn't come home until 3:00 AM. He chewed Tom out and then said Tom had to stay at home for two weeks

chicken out (no object): lose the courage or confidence to do something--often at the last minute.

"Sam said he was going to ask Lulu for a date, but he chickened out

chip in (inseparable): contribute / donate (often money) to something done by a group.

"We're going to buy a birthday cake for our boss and I'm collecting donations. Do you want to chip in

clam up (inseparable): suddenly become quiet / refuse to talk about something.

"Lila wouldn't talk about the accident. When I asked her what happened, she clammed up

come across (inseparable): find (unexpectedly).

"I've lost my extra car keys. If you come across them while your're
cleaning the room, please put them in a safe place

come down with _____ (inseparable): become ill with _____ .

"George won't be at the office today. He came down with the flu over the weekend

come to (1. inseparable): total.

"Your charges come to $124.38. Will you pay by check, in cash, or
with a credit card?"

come to (2. no object): regain consciousness.

"When I told Gina that she'd won a million dollars, she fainted. When she
came to, I told her it was a joke and she almost hit me!"

count on (inseparable): depend on; trust that something will happen or that someone
will do as expected.

"I'm counting on you to wake me up tomorrow. I know I won't hear the alarm

cross out (separable): show that something written is wrong or unnecessary by making an X across it.

"We can't afford to buy everything on your shopping list, so I've crossed all the unnecessary things out

cut back (on) (often without an object; with an object, cut back on [inseparable]): use less of something.

"You drink too much coffee. You should cut back."

"You should cut back on the amount of coffee that you drink."

drop in (on) (inseparable): visit informally (and usually usually without scheduling a specific time).

"If you're in town next month, we'd love to see you. Please try to dropin. (Please try to drop in on us."

get over (1. no object): finish. (Note: for individual activities, not ones that happen again and again.)

"What time do your classes get over?

get over (2. inseparable): recover from an illness or painful experience.

"Katy was really upset when she failed the test. She thought she would never get over feeling so stupid."

get rid of (2. inseparable): dismiss someone; fire someone from a job; cause someone to leave.

"The treasurer of the XYZ company was spending too much money so the company president got rid of him."

give up (1. separable): stop doing something (usually a habit).

"He knows smoking isn't good for his health, but he can't give it up."

lay off (separable): dismiss someone from a job because of lack of work or money (not because of poor performance)

"I feel really sorry Sally's family. Her father was laid off yesterday

leave out (separable): forget; omit.

"Oh, no! When I made the list of those who attended the meeting, I left your name out!

let down (separable): disappoint.

"I know I let you down when I didn't do what I promised. I'm really sorry."

let up (no object): become less intense or slower.

"It's been raining hard for a long time. Will it ever let up?"

look back on (inseparable): remember; reflect on / consider something in the past.

"When they looked back on their many years together, they realized that their marriage had been a very happy one."

look down on (inseparable): hold in contempt; regard as inferior.

"It's not surprising that Fred has few friends. He seems to lookdownon anyone who doesn't like the same things that he does

look forward to (inseparable): anticipate pleasantly; think about a pleasant thing before it happens

"I'm really looking forward to vacation. I can't wait for it to begin!"

look in on (inseparable): visit in order to check something's / someone's condition.

"My father just came home from the hospital. I plan to look in on him today after I finish work."

look into (inseparable): investigate / get more details about something.

"Someone said there was a meeting at 9:30 but I haven't heard anything about it. Shall I look into it?"

look like (inseparable): resemble (in appearance).

"Does he look like his father or his mother?"

look over (separable): check; review.

"I think I may have some typos in this report. Could you look it over?"

look up (1. separable): find something in a reference work.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what that word means. I'll have to look it up."

look up (2. separable): find where someone lives or works and visit him/her.

"Thanks for giving me your brother's address. When I'm in Chicago next month, I'll be sure to look him up."

look up to (inseparable): respect.

"Everyone looks up to Joyce because she always makes time to help others."

luck out (no object): be unexpectedly lucky.

"Gloria was worried because she wasn't prepared to give a report at the meeting, but she lucked out because the meeting was postponed."

make up (1. separable): invent / create (imaginary) information.

"Judy's story is hard to believe. I'm sure she made it up."

make up (2. separable): compensate for something missed or not done by doing extra or equivalent work.

"I'm sorry I missed the test. May I make it up?"

make up (with) (3. inseparable): re-establish a friendly relationship by admitting guilt.

"Jack and his girlfriend were very angry with each other, but last night they finally made up."

"Jack and his girlfriend were very angry with each other, but last night they finally made up with each other."

make out (separable): see / hear something well enough to understand what it means.(Note: often negative.)

"Ruth's writing is very small. I almost need a magnify glass to make it out."

"What were the last two examples that he gave? I couldn't make them out."

make for (1. inseparable): go to or toward.

"Her teen-aged children are always hungry. As soon as they arrive home from school, they make for the refrigerator."

make for (2. inseparable): result in; cause.

"Many hands make for light work. (If many people work together, there's less work for everyone.)"

mark up (separable): increase the price (for resale).

"Mrs. White's import shop is profitable because she buys things inexpensively and then marks them up."

mark down (separable): reduce the price (as an incentive to buy).

"These shoes were really a bargain! The store marked them down by 40%!"

mix up (separable): cause to become confused.

"I didn't complete the assignment because I didn't know how. The directions mixed me up."

put off (1. separable): postpone; delay; avoid

"I can't put this work off any longer. If I don't do it soon, it'll be impossible to finish it in time."

"When will Mr. Smith agree to a meeting? I keep asking for an appointment, but he keeps putting me off."

put on (1. separable): begin to wear; don.

"It's a little bit chilly outside. You'd better put a sweater on."

put on (2. separable): try to make someone believe something that is ridiculous or untrue.

"Don't believe a word of what Jim was saying. He was just putting us on."

put(someone) out (separable): inconvenience someone.

"I hate to put you out, but I need a ride to the train station and hope you can take me."

put up (1. separable): return something to the proper place.

"Your toys are all over the floor, Timmy. Please put them up."

put up (2. separable): provide someone with a place to sleep.

"There's no need for you to check into a hotel. I'll be happy to put you up."

put up with (inseparable): tolerate.

"It's really important to come to work on time. The boss won't put up with tardiness."

put back (separable): return something to the proper place.

"I've finished with these books. Do you want me to put them back on the shelves?"

run into (inseparable): meet by chance.

"Yesterday at the supermarket, Jan ran into her former roommate. Before yesterday, they hadn't seen each other for nearly five years."

run out of (inseparable): use the last of.

"On the way home from work, Art ran out of gas."

set up (separable): make arrangements for something.

"You'll see Mr. Thomas tomorrow. I've set a meeting up for 9:30 AM."

set back (1. separable): cause a delay in scheduling.

"We've had some problems with the project that have set us back at least two days . We'll give you a progress report tomorrow."

set back (2. separable): cost.

"I wonder how much Bill's new car set him back?"

slip up (no object): make a mistake.

"You slipped up here. The amount should be $135.28, not $132.58."

stand out (no object): be noticeably better than other similar people or things.

"Good job, Ann! Your work really stands out!"

stand up (1. no object): rise to a standing position.

"When the Chairperson entered the room, everyone stood up."

stand up (2. separable): make a date but not keep it.

"Angela was supposed to go to the dance with Fred, but she stood him up and went with Chuck instead."

show up (1. no object): arrive; appear.

"The boss was very upset when you didn't show up for the meeting. What happened?"

show up (2. separable): do a noticeably better job (often unexpectedly) than someone else.

"Everyone thought Marsha would win, but Jean did. Actually, Jean really showed Marsha up."

stand for (1. no object): represent.

"These letters seem to be an abbreviation. Do you know what they stand for?"

stand for (2. inseparable): tolerate; permit (usually negative).

"I'm not surprised that Mrs. Johnson rejected your report. She won't stand for shoddy work."

take after (inseparable): resemble; favor (in appearance).

Note: used for people.

"Both my sister and I take after our father."

take / bring back (separable): return.

"This book is due tomorrow. I guess I should take it back to the library."

"Yes, you can borrow my pen, but don't forget to bring it back to me when you're finished."

take care of (1. inseparable): provide care for; watch one's health.

"Lois has been taking care of her father since he returned home from the hospital."

"You've been working too hard lately. You'd better take care of yourself!"

take care of (2. ineparable): make arrangements (for something to happen); take responsibility for.

"Will you take care of making reservations for our flight to Boston?"

take off (1. separable): remove (something you're wearing).

"Please take your hat off when you go inside a building."

take off (2. no object): leave; depart (often suddenly or quickly).

"Was something wrong with Jill? She took off without saying goodbye."

"When does your plane take off?"

take off (3. separable): make arrangements to be absent from work.

"Susan isn't here today. She's taking today and tomorrow off."

take up (separable): begin (a hobby or leisure-time activity).

A: "Do you like to ski?"
B: "I've never been skiing, but I think I'd like to take it up."

turn down (1. separable): decrease the volume.

"Your music is giving me a headache! Please turn it down or use your headphones!"

turn down (2. separable): refuse.

"I thought I could borrow some money from Joe, but when I asked, he turned me down."

turn in (1. separable): give / deliver / submit to someone.

"I've written my report, but I haven't turned it in."

turn in (2. no object): go to bed.

"I'm pretty tired. I guess I'll turn in."

turn in (3. separable): report or deliver wrongdoers to the authorities.

"Two days after the robbery, the thieves turned themselves in."

turn off (1. separable): stop by turning a handle or switch.

"I'm cold. Do you mind if I turn the air conditioner off?"

turn off (2. separable): bore; repel (very informal).

"That music turns me off. Please play something else!"

turn on (1. separable): start by turning a handle or switch.

"It's cold in here. I'm going to turn the heater on"

turn on (2. separable): interest very much; excite (very informal).

"What kind of music turns you on?"

turn up (1. separable): increase the volume.

"I can barely hear the TV. Can you turn it up a little?"

turn up (2. no object): appear unexpectedly.

"We were all surprised when Pam turned up at the party. We didn't even know she was in town."

face up to (inseparable): admit to; take responsibility for.

"You can't pretend that you're doing OK in this course, Joe. Sooner or later, you'll have to face up to the fact that you're failing it."

fall through (no object): not happen. (Note: describes something that was planned but didn't happen.)

"We had originally intended to go to Mexico for our vacation, but our trip fell through when I got sick."

fall through (no object): not happen. (Note: describes something that was planned but didn't happen.)

"We had originally intended to go to Mexico for our vacation, but our trip fell through when I got sick."

feel up to (inseparable): feel strong enough or comfortable enough to do something.

"I know the accident was a terrible shock. Do you feel up to talking about it?"

figure out (1. separable): logically find the answer to a problem; solve a problem by thinking about it carefully.

"For a long time I couldn't understand the last problem, but I finally figured it out."

figure out (2. separable): understand why someone behaves the way she/he does.

"I can't figure Margie out. Sometimes she's very warm and friendly and sometimes she acts as if she doesn't know me."

fill in (1. separable): add information to a form.

"The office needs to know your home address and phone number. Could you fill them in on this form?"

fill in (on) (2. separable): supply information that someone doesn't know.

"I wasn't able to attend the meeting yesterday, but I understand that it was important. Could you fill me in? / Could you fill me in on what was discussed?"

fill in for (inseparable): temporarily do someone else's work; temporarily substitute for another person.

"Professor Newton is in the hospital and won't be able to teach for the rest of the term. Do you know who's going to fill in for her?"

fill out (1. separable): complete a form by adding required information.

"Of course I completed my application! I filled it out and mailed it over three weeks ago!"

fill out (2. no object): become less thin; gain weight.

"Jerry used to be really skinny, but in the last year he's begun to fill out."

find out (about) (inseparable): learn / get information (about).

"I'm sorry that you didn't know the meeting had been canceled. I didn't find out (find out about it) myself until just a few minutes ago."

 

 


Idioms

1.    All that gliiter is not gold

2.    Apple of one’s eye

3.    Beat around the bush

4.    Birds of the same flock

5.    Black sheep of the family

6.    Blessing in disguise

7.    Blood is thicker than water.

8.    Born with silver spoon

9.    Bottom line

10. Break a leg

11. Break the ice

12. Burn the candle at both the ends

13. By hook or crook

14. By the book

15. Call it a day

16.  

17. Red handed

18. Chill out

19. Clip wings

20. Crocodile tears

21. Cry wolf

22. Dark horse

23. Dime a dozen

24. Early birds

25. Tom

26. Fair weather

27. Feather in cap

28. Hand to mouth

29. Ignorance

30. Jack

31. Cross finger

 

 

 

 


 

·        1.back out

·        To fail to keep an engagement or promise; withdraw from; abandon:

 

·        Two entrants have backed out of competing in the marathon. You can't back out now.

·        You can not back out now that profits are low.

 

·        2. bear with

·        To be patient or forbearing with:

 

·        Please bear with me until I finish the story.

·        Can you bear with his untidiness if you marry him?

·        Bear with me while I explain it to the others.

 

 

·        3. blow over

 

·        to unimportant; uninteresting; to pass away; to be forgotten; subside :

 

·        I thought that after a few days the argument would blow over.

·        The news of their divorce will soon blow over.

 

·        4. blow up

 

·        To exaggerate; enlarge :

 

·        He blew up his own role in his account of the project.

·        The quarrel between them was blown up in the newspapers.

 

·        5. break in

 

·        To interrupt a conversation;

·        He broke in with a ridiculous objection.

·        As she was talking, he suddenly broke in, saying, “That is a lie.”

 

·        6. call in

·        To inform or report by telephone :

 

·        Did he call in his decision this morning?

·        She hasn’t called in with her schedule yet.

 

·        7. call on

·        To ask; invite a person to speak; appeal to:

·        I was called on to address the meeting.

·        They called on him to represent them.

 

·        8. call upon

·        To ask; invite a person to speak; appeal to:

·        I was called on to address the meeting.

·        They called on him to represent them.

 

 

·        9. carry away

·        To influence greatly or unreasonably; especially emotionally; excite; transport:

·        The spectators were carried away by the appeal to their patriotism.

·        Don’t get too carried away with your success.

 

·        10. carry on

·        To continue; to talk:

·        Please carry on while I answer the phone.

·        Carry on your work.

 

·        11. cast aside

·        To look; as find something; search; plan :

·        We cast about for something to do during the approaching summer vacation.

·        He cast about how he could avoid work.

 

·        12. come across

·        To come to pass; happen:

·        I came across this picture when I was cleaning out the attic.

 

·        13. cast away

·        To reject; discard; to throw away; to shipwreck:

·        He cast away this money just as he has done in the past.

·        A shipwrecked person in a strange country or on an island.

 

·        14. cast down

·        To lower; humble:

·        He is cast down as per his position.

 

·        15. drop in

·        used to describe a place where people can go, usually to get help or advice, at any time without making an appointment (= an agreed date and time):

·        a drop-in centre for the homeless

·        a drop-in clinic/shelter

 

·        16. drop off

·        to decrease; decline:

·        Sales have dropped off drastically.

·        The demand for mobile phones shows no signs of dropping off.

 

·        17. drop out

·        to withdraw from being a member or participant:

·        To drop out of a club; to drop out of society and become a wanderer.

·        He dropped out of the race after two laps.

 

·        18. fall back

·        to give way; recede; retreat:

·        The relentless shelling forced the enemy to fall back.

·        She fell back in horror/disgust.

·        The infantry fell back in disarray.

 

·        19.  fall under

·        to be affected by someone in a strong and often negative way:

·        She fell under his spell when he was her tutor at university.

·        That case falls under the heading of errors of judgment.

 

·        20. get about

·        to move about; be active:

·        He gets about with difficulty since his illness.

·         She's been getting about much more since her family moved to the city.

 

 

 

·        21. get along

·        to deal with a situation, usually successfully:

·        wonder how Michael is getting along in his new job.

·        I don't really get along with my sister's husband.

 

·        22. get at

·        to discover; determine:

·        To get at the root of a problem.

 

·        23. get on

·        to have a good relationship:

·        We're getting on much better now that we don't live together.

·        He gets on with everyone.

 

·        24. get on with

·        to start or continue doing something, especially work:

·        Stop talking and get on with it.

·        I like to be left to get on with the job.

·        suppose I could get on with the ironing while I'm waiting.

 

·        25. get into

·        to become interested in an activity or subject, or start being involved in an activity:

·        She's been getting into yoga recently - she does three classes a week.

 

·        26. get through

·        to make oneself understood:

·        One simply cannot get through to her.

·        I got through to the wrong department.

 

·        27. go out

·        to leave a room or building, especially in order to do something for entertainment:

·        Please close the door as you go out.

·        Do you want to go out for a drink after work?

·        It's terribly smoky in here - I'm just going out for a breath of fresh air.

 

·        28. go off

·        to leave, especially suddenly:

·        She went off without saying goodbye.

·        She's gone off on holiday with Tony.

 

·        29. hang about

·        to move or do things slowly:

·        Go and pack but don't hang about - we have to go in an hour.

 

·        30. hang back

·        to refrain from taking action; hesitate:

·        A forward pass would have been the best call, but the quarterbackhung back because his last pass had been intercepted.

 

·        31. hang upon

·        to give careful attention to something, especially something that someone says:

·        He hangs on her every word as if she were some sort of goddess.

 

·        32. hold back

·        to not do something, often because of fear or because you do not want to make a bad situation worse:

·        He held back, terrified of going into the dark room.

·         He held back from joining in the singing because he felt depressed.

 

·        33. keep away

·        a situation in which someone tries to avoid answering questions orrevealing information:

·        How long has this illegal game of keep away been going on?

 

·        34. keep on

·        to continue; persist:

·        If you keep on singing they'll ask you to leave.

·        Do you want this photograph back or can I keep it?

 

 

 

·        35. keep up

·        To maintain an equal rate of speed, activity, or progress with another or others.

·         To keep up on current events.

·         I read the papers to keep up with what's happening in the outside world.

·        36. knock down

·        Informal. to lower the price of; reduce:

·        To knock down end-of-season leftovers.

·        They're selling jeans for ridiculous knock-down prices.

 

·        37. knock up

·        to damage; mar:

·        The children knocked up the new table.

·        He was afraid to come home from school all knocked up again.

 

·        38. lay in

·        to store away for future use:

·        We laid in a supply of canned goods.

 

·        39. look for

·        to seek; search for:

·        Columbus was looking for a shorter route to India when he discovered America.

·        Look out for Anna while you're there.

 

·        40. look forward to

·         to wait or hope for, esp. with pleasure

·         I'm not looking forward to Christmas this year.

·        I'm really looking forward to my holiday.

 

·        41. look into

·        to inquire into; investigate; examine:

·        The auditors are looking into the records to find the cause of thediscrepancy.

·        We're looking into buying a new computer.

·        He looked into hiring another secretary, but it would have been too expensive.

 

·        42. make over

·        to improve something or someone by working on or changing various parts:

·        Ed Carey has been chosen to make over the losing football team.

·         After she retired she made over her property to her children and moved to Florida.

 

·        43. play upon

·        to exploit, as the feelings or weaknesses of another;take selfish advantage of:

·        She would never think of playing on the good nature of others.

·        I hate marketing strategies that play on people's fears and prejudices

 

·        44. put off

·        to decide or arrange to delay an event or activity until a later time or date:

·        The meeting has been put off for a week.

·         I can't put off going to the dentist any longer.

 

·        45. put up

·        to propose as a candidate; nominate:

·        Someone is going to put him up for president.

 

·        46. put up with

·        to endure; tolerate; bear:

·        I couldn't put up with the noise any longer.

·        He's so moody - I don't know why she puts up with him.

·        They have a lot to put up with (= they have a lot of difficulties).

 

·        47. run off

·        to leave quickly; depart to create or perform rapidly or easily:

·        You can't run off (home) now, just when I need you!

·        My wife has run off with another man.

·        48. stand by

·        to be waiting and ready to do something or to help:

·        Cabin crew, please stand by for take-off.

·        Please stand by while I fix this antenna.

 

·        49. stand for

·        If you will not stand for something, you will not accept a situation or a particular type of behaviour:

·        I wouldn't stand for that sort of behaviour from him, if I were you.

·        I'm not going to stand for that sort of behavior in my class.

·        He can't speak to me like that - I'm not going to stand for it!

 

·        50. see to

·        to take care of; be responsible for:

·        I'll see to the theater tickets.

 

·        51. set aside

·        to put to one side; reserve:

·        The clerk set aside the silver brooch for me.

·        to set aside a verdict

 

·        52. set out

·        to start an activity with a particular aim:

·        She set out with the aim of becoming the youngest ever winner of the championship.

·        They set out to discover a cure for cancer.

 

·        53. set up

·        the way in which things are organized or arranged:

·        When I started my new job, it took me a while to get used to the set-up.

·        "Nice little set-up you've got here," he said as we showed him around the house.

 

·        54. speak out

·        to say in public what you think about something such as a law or an official plan or action:

·        He spoke out against the school’s admissions policy.

·         He was not afraid to speak out when it was something he believed in strongly.

 

·        55. take to

·        to start doing something often:

·        She was so depressed she took to drink.

·        He's taken to staying out very late.

 

·        56. apple of one’ eye

·        the person who someone loves most and is very proud of:

·        His youngest daughter was the apple of his eye.

·         The youngest was the apple of his father's eye. 

 

·        57. bell the cat

·        to attempt something formidable or dangerous:

·        To call him here it is like bell the cat.

·        Go with him on long drive like bell the cat.

 

·        58. black sheep

·        a person who has done something bad that brings embarrassment or shame to his or her family:

·        He's the black sheep of the family.

 

·        59. bolt from the blue

·        something important or unusual that happens suddenly or unexpectedly:

·        The resignation of the chairman came like a bolt from the blue.

·        His decision to leave college was a bolt from the blue for his parents.

·        Also, bolt out of the blue.

 

·        60. bone of contention

·        something that two people or groups cannot agree about:

·        Money is a common bone of contention in many marriages.

 

·        61. bread and butter

·        a job or activity that provides you with the money you need tolive:

·        Gardening is my bread and butter right now.

 

·        62. burn one’s own finger

·        to suffer unpleasant results of an action, especially loss of money, so you do not want to do the same thing again:

·        She'd invested extensively in stocks and got her fingers burned when the market collapsed.

 

·        63. burning question

·        a subject or question that must be dealt with or answered quickly

·        demonetisation is burning question., in now days.

 

·        64. by hook or by crook

·        by any method possible:

·        I decided I was going to get that job by hook or by crook.

 

·        65. leaps and bounds

·        very quickly:

·        The company is growing by leaps and bounds this year.

·         Note: Used to talk about how something increases or improves.

 

·        66. castles in the air

·         a hope or desire unlikely to be realized; daydream

·        She is making castles in the air not actual plan.

 

·        67.chicken hearted

·         easily frightened; cowardly

·         That's just like a girl—they're so thin-skinned and chicken-hearted.

·         cowardly. Yes, I'm a chicken-hearted softie. I never try anything too risky.

 

 

·        68. child’s play

·        something that is very easy to do:

·        For her, computer programming is child’s play.

·         Finding the answer was child's play for Robert.

 

·        69. close-fisted man

·        Unwilling to spend money; stingy, miser.

·        My uncle is close fisted man.

 

·        70. close shave

·        a situation in which you come very close to a dangerous situation:

·        I had a close shave this morning - some idiot almost knocked me off my bike.

 

·        71. cock-and-bull story

·        a story that is obviously not true, especially one given as an excuse:

·         He gave me some cock-and-bull story about having to be at his cousin’s engagement party.

·         Don't ask him about his ancestry unless you want to hear a cock-and-bull story.

 

·        72. crocodile tears

·        tears that you cry when you are not really sad or sorry

·        They weep crocodile tears for the poor and disadvantaged, but are basically happy with things as they are.

 

·        73. cry over split milk

·        to express regret about something that has already happened or cannot be changed:

·        Yes, we made a mistake, but there’s no point in crying over spilled milk.

 

 

·        74. an eye for an eye

·        the idea that a person who causes another person to suffer shouldsuffer in an equal amount:

·        I don’t believe in that kind of eye for an eye justice.

 

·        75. far and near

 

·        76. to fish in troubled waters

·        to try to win an advantage from a difficult situation or from someone else's problems

 

·        77. a fish out of water

·        someone who is uncomfortable in a specific situation:

·        I felt like a fish out of water at my new school.

 

·        78. from hand to mouth

·        to have just enough money to live on and nothing extra:

·        My father earned very little and there were four kids, so we lived from hand to mouth.

 

·        79. give-and-take

·         willingness to accept suggestions from another person and give up some of your own; an exchange of ideas or statements:

·         In every friendship there has to be some give and take.

·         The candidates engaged in a lively give and take, witnessed by a huge television audience.

 

·        80. good Samaritan

·        someone who helps people in trouble;

·        In thisneighborhood you can't count on a Good Samaritan if you get in trouble.

 

·        81. to have a finger in every pie

·        to be involved in and have influence over many different activities, often in a way that people do not approve of:

 

·        82. to have one’s hands full

·        to be so busy that you do not have time to do anything else:

·        I'd love to help but I've got my hands full organizing the school play.

 

·        83. head over ears

·        To ignore something:

·        You can not talk of teacher head over ears.

·        84. herculean task

·        To very difficult to do; needing great strength and determination:

·        She faces the Herculean task of bringing up four children single-handedly.

 

·        85. Hobson’s choice

·        a situation in which it seems that you can choose between different things or actions, but there is really only one thing that you can take or do:

·        It's a case of Hobson's choice, because if I don't agree to their terms, I'll lose my job.

 

·        86. to hold one’s tongue

·        to try really hard to not say something:

·        When my son told me he wanted to quit university to become an artist, I had to hold my tongue and accept his decision.

 

·        87. hue and cry

·        a noisy expression of public anger or disapproval:

·        There has been a great hue and cry about the council's plans to close the school.

·        The reformers raised hue and cry about political corruption. 

·        88. in one’s good book

·         they are pleased with you:

·         I cleaned the bathroom yesterday so I'm in Mum's good books. 

 

·        89. in one’s true colours

·        the kind of person someone really is rather than what the person seems to be:

·        I thought he was a really sweet guy, but then he got mad and showed his true colours.

 

·        90. in the air

·        in circulation; current:

·        There's a rumour in the air that we're moving to a new location.

·         There is such a feeling of joy in the air. We felt a sense of tension in the air.

 

·        91. in a face of

·        used when you are describing how a situation seems on the surface:

·        On the face of it, it seems like a bargain, but I bet there are hidden costs.

 

·        92. in the long run

·        at a time that is far away in the future:

·        It seems a lot of effort but I'm sure it's the best solution in the long run.

·         Good management in the long run brought improved conditions for the workers.

 

 

 

·        93. in the nick of time

·        at the last possible moment:

·        We got there just in the nick of time.

·         The doctor arrived in the nick of time. The patient's life was saved.

·        I reached the airport in the very nick of time and made my flight.

 

·        94. ins and outs

·        the detailed or complicated facts of something:

·        I know how to use computers, but I don't really understand the ins and outs of how they work.

·         I don'tunderstand the INS and outs of politics. Jane knows the ins and outs of repairing computers.

·         It takes anewcomer some time to learn the ins and outs of the legislative process.

 

·        95. jack of all trades

·         a person who undertakes many different kinds of work:

·        My father could fix cars, build furniture, and program computers—hewas a jack of all trades.

 

·        96. to keep a straight face

·        to manage to stop yourself from smiling or laughing:

·        She tried to keep a straight face but, unable to contain herself, burst into laughter.

 

·        97. to keep once head over water

·         to manage to survive, especially financially; to keep up with one's work:

·        We have so little money that we can hardly keep our headsabove water. It's hard to keep your head above water on this much money.

·        It's all I can do to keep my head above water with the work I have. I can't take onany more. We have so many orders that we can hardly keep our heads above water.

 

·        98. to kick up a row

 

 

·        99. the last straw

·        the latest problem in a series of problems, that makes a situation impossible to accept:

·        The last straw was when the company fired most of the managers.

·         The last straw. He'd been unhappyat work for a long time but the last straw came when he was refused promotion.

 

·        100. a laughing stock

·        someone or something that seems stupid or silly, especially by trying to be serious or important and not succeeding:

·        Another performance like that and this team will be the laughing stock of the league.

·        I can't cyclearound on that old thing! I'll be the laughing stock of the neighbourhood.

·        101. a leap in the dark

·        something you do without being certain what will happen as a result:

·        I had very little information about the company, so writing to them was a leap in the dark.

·         I had very little information about the company, so writing to them was a bit of a leap in the dark.

 

·        102. to live in the lurch

·        to leave someone at a time when they need you to stay and help

 

·        103. to let the cat out of the bag

 

·        104. a lion’s share

·        someone who is important, successful, or powerful; the largest part or most of something:

·        Reputable charities spend the lion's share of donations on aid and a tiny fraction on administration.

 

·        105. a maiden speech

·        the first formal speech made by a British Member of Parliament in the House of Commons or by a member of the House of Lords:

 

·        106. to make hay while the sun shines to make up one’s mind

·        to make good use of an opportunity while it lasts

 

·        107. a man of letters

·         a man, usually a writer, who knows a lot about literature:

·        A distinguished statesman and man of letters, he was bornjust before the turn of the century.

 

·        108. nip in the bud

·        to stop something before it has an opportunity to become established:

·        Many serious illnesses can be nipped in the bud if they are detected early enough.

·        It's important to nip this kind of bullying in the bud.

·         If this problem isn't nipped in the bud, it will soon get totally out of hand.

 

·        109. now and then

·         occasionally; infrequently:

·         We eat lamb every now and then. We eat pork now and then. I read a novel every now andagain.

·         I like to go to a movie now and then. We visit my parentsnow and then, but we rarely see our other relatives.

 

 

 

·        110. olive branch

·        to do or say something in order to show that you want to end a disagreement with someone:

·        He held out an olive branch to the opposition by releasing 42 political prisoners.

 

 

·        111. on the horns of a dilemma

·        to be unable to decide which of two things to do because either could have bad results:

·         Mary found herself on the horns of a dilemma. She didn't knowwhich to choose

 

·        112. once in a blue moon

·        not very often:

·        My sister lives in Alaska, so I only see her once in a blue moon.

·         Once in a bluemoon, I buy a fashion magazine, just to see what people are wearing.

 

·        113. to be out of order

·        If something someone says or does is out of order, it is unpleasant or not suitable and it is likely to upset or offend people:

·        His behaviour in the meeting was out of order.

 

·        114. out of the frying pan into the fire

·        said when you move from a bad or difficult situation to one that is worse:

·         I really went out of the frying pan into the fire. I gotdeeply in debt.

 

·        115. to pick a quarrel with

·         Argument or fight:

·         I don't want topic a quarrel with you.

·         Jason was always in trouble for picking fights. These terms use pick in the sense of"select."

 

·        116. to pocket an insult

 

·        117. to pull oneself together

·        to become calm and behave normally again after being angry or upset:

·        Just pull yourself together. There's no point crying about it.

 

·        118. to pull the strings

·        to move something towards yourself, sometimes with great physical effort:

·        Could you help me move this bookcase over there? You pull and I'll push.

·        He pulled the chair away from the desk.

·        He pulled the heavy box across the floor to the door.

 

·        119. to put one’s best foot forward

·        to try to do one's best; to hurry:

 

 

·        120. without rhyme or reason

·        to be without any obvious reasonable explanation:

·        Government money was given out to some people and not to others, apparently without rhyme or reason.

·        There is no rhyme or reason to her behaviour.

 

·        121. a scapegoat

·        a person who is blamed for something that someone else has done:

·        The captain was made a scapegoat for the team's failure.

 

·        122. to see eye to eye with

·        to agree with someone:

·        My sister didn’t see eye to eye with me about the how to tell my parents about the problem.

 

 

 

·        123. to show off

·        to behave in a way that is intended to attract attention or admiration, and that other people often find annoying:

·        She only bought that sports car to show off and prove she could afford one.

·        He's always showing off to his classmates.

 

·        124. to smell a rat

·        to recognize that something is not as it appears to be or that something dishonest is happening:

·        He's been working late with her every night this week - I smell a rat!

 

·        125. to stand into good stead

·        in place of someone:

·        The marketing manager was ill and her deputy ran the meeting in her stead.

·         His personal relationship with the electorate stands in good stead.

 

·        126. to stick to the point

·         not to mention, reinstate, in the first place, pat on the back:

 

·        127. to take advantage of

·        to use the good things in a situation; to treat someone badly in order to get something good from them:

·        I thought I'd take advantage of the sports facilities while I'm here.

·        I think she takes advantage of his good nature.

·        I know she's offered to babysit, but I don't want her to think we're taking advantage of her.

 

·        128. to take in hand

·         To attempt or undertake:

·         He took him in hand all work.

 

·        129. to take a stock of

 

·        130. to throw cold water on

·        to be negative about someone's ideas or plans:

·        You're always throwing cold water on my suggestions.

·        131. a turning point

·        the time at which a situation starts to change in an important way:

·        The organization called the new regulations a turning point in the campaign against smoking.

·        The turning point in her political career came when she was chosen to run for a Senate seat.

 

·        132. up to the mark

·        to be good enough:

·        Her latest batch of work just isn't up to the mark.

 

·        133. to wash one’s dirty linen in public

·        People who wash their dirty linen in public discuss, or allow to be discussed in public, matters that should be kept private.

 

·        134. a white lie

·        a lie that is told in order to be polite or to stop someone from being upset by the truth

 

·        135. with open arms

·        In a very friendly way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment